Children’s underwear: how to choose the right knickers, briefs, socks and vests
To make sure your little ones feel comfortable in their own skin, the right underwear is essential! Knickers, briefs, socks, vests: DPAM offers tips to pick the right garments for your child. The main thing is to choose the right size to keep your little one dry and warm in all weather.
Which underwear for which children?
There are two main categories of children’s underwear: everyday and seasonal. Everyday garments are essential for both boys and girls all year round. Meanwhile, seasonal underwear depends on the temperature and the weather.
Knickers, shorties, briefs and boxers
For girls, stick with knickers and shorties. Classic knickers are fitted and discreet and offer the ideal support for little ones who like to run around. Shorties, meanwhile, have a lower hem and are more flexible, which makes them really comfortable. Briefs and boxers, meanwhile, are designed for boys. Briefs are popular due to their support, just like girls’ knickers. But boxers offer a more comfortable fit. It all depends on the child and their tastes!
Socks and tights
Socks for boys and girls tend to be used throughout the year, with different styles for different seasons.
• In the summer, children may prefer trainer socks, so that they don’t show above their shoes. Choose thin ones to keep them cool and to make sure their trainers don’t become too tight.
• For spring, autumn and winter, opt for higher socks that can slide right under their trousers. Make sure you adapt their thickness to the outside temperature for greater comfort.
• In the winter, little girls can stay warm even when wearing a skirt thanks to tights and leggings.
T-shirts, bodies and vests are generally used as thermal underwear. They add a protective layer during the cold season and are perfect for more fragile children or kids who feel the cold. They also allow them to wear their favourite T-shirt, even in cold weather! To keep your child nice and warm, put the following under their clothes:
• A body: this warm, comfortable garment stays in place and is perfect for babies and toddlers;
• A long-sleeved T-shirt: for older children, this is the ideal solution under a jumper or in the winter;
• A short-sleeved T-shirt: this is more suitable for spring and autumn, under a sweatshirt or a shirt;
• A vest: ideal under a T-shirt or when it starts to get colder.
How to choose the right size when buying DPAM children’s underwear
To make sure your child is comfortable, you need to choose the right size for their underwear. You just need to know their height in centimetres. You can then consult the size guides for boys, girls and babies on each DPAM product page. Otherwise, you can use your child’s age to choose their size. This method can lead to errors, though, as many children are taller or smaller than average. Using their height in centimetres is less risky and is suitable for socks, briefs and vests. To choose the best underwear for your little one, there are a few more details you need to focus on to make sure they are comfortable.
For little ones, cotton is key: it’s hypo-allergenic, easy to wash, soft and comfortable. Choose briefs and knickers with a high percentage of cotton. They may be enriched with a small amount of elastane for extra comfort. In the case of socks and tights, the knit may contain other fibres, due to their thermal quality or other features, but cotton is the priority.
It all depends on how often you do a wash! Make sure you have one pair of knickers, briefs, boxers or shorties per day, plus two or three spares. Add one pair of socks per day, then one vest and one pair of tights for every two or three days in the winter. If you do one weekly wash, this means you will need around ten pairs of briefs and pairs of socks, three vests and two pairs of tights.